Skip to main content

Working near electrical networks

  • Working near our network
  • High wide loads
  • Clearing vegetation around poles

Are you planning work in the vicinity of an electrical asset?

Work near powerlines and other electrical installations must be planned. This is to ensure:

  • Compliance with WorkSafe and electrical clearance requirements during site works
  • Adequate separation between the completed work and the adjacent line

It is the responsibility of the site owner, company or contractor to ensure that work near overhead or underground powerlines can be carried out safely and that no person, material or equipment involved in the performance of the work enters the 'danger zone' around powerlines at any time. There are serious penalties for breaching this important safety regulation.

We can provide assistance in determining whether there will be adequate separation between the works and any adjacent powerlines.

How much will it cost?

  • Based on the information in the application form, we will provide you with the voltages, at which time you may be asked to complete a Part B of the form and if necessary, Horizon Power will provide a quotation for entering the danger zone, listing procedures, vicinity permit, isolating supply or covering conductors; and site supervision required.

What to do next?

Do you need a permit for transporting a high wide load?

Operators of loads higher than 4.3 metres (4.6 metres for livestock vehicles travelling on nominated routes) or wider than 5.5 metres, must apply for a high load permit to ensure safety precautions are observed in proximity to powerlines. Transport operators must refer to Main Roads Western Australia before applying for an Horizon Power high load permit. It is a requirement of any Main Roads permit to also obtain a high load permit from Horizon Power.

Horizon Power high load permit applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis to ensure they can travel and maintain the appropriate safety clearances to power lines and other infrastructure. In instances where safety clearances cannot be maintained it may be possible for an escort to be provided or lines to be switched off to allow a load to travel.

Please note: Transport operators are required to obtain the Horizon Power permit in addition to any permit required by Main Roads. Failure to obtain a high load permit is an offence which may result in a fine of up to $5,000.

How much will it cost?

An application fee of $150 will be payable for each permit. We will arrange payment with you following your application. We will issue a tax invoice and receipt for your payment within 5 working days.

What to do next? 

Pole Based Vegetation Clearing Agreement

If you need to request that Horizon Power not undertake any fire prevention vegetation clearing in the clearance zone around the base of your electricity poles/structures, please complete the below form. 

What to do next? 

Disconnect a power supply

Renovating and need to disconnect or demolish?

There are a number of reasons why you may need to disconnect your power supply while work is carried out at your property.

Upgrade or modify an existing supply

Upgrade or modify an existing power supply

Upgrade your power supply, connect an overhead network to an underground connection or relocate an electrical asset.

New electricity and meter connections

Install a meter or request a new connection

Are you building and need to install a meter, or want to apply for a new electricity connection?